ixia: public art think tank

ixia has taken over the ownership and management of Public Art Online from Arts Council England. The design and content of the website are currently being reviewed.

Bookmark and Share

Insurance for Artists

Public Liability insurance covers legal liability to pay damages to the public when death, bodily injury or damage to property occurs as a result of your professional activities.

You will need Public Liability cover if your work involves public performances and live events, workshops, residencies, open studios and public commissions. Without insurance the artist can, if a person becomes injured or equipment is broken, be held personally accountable.

There is more information about Public Liability and Professional Indemnity for Artists on our specially commissioned information sheet.

If you are self-employed you can join small business organisations that offer free legal representation or you can take out legal cover from specialist insurance brokers. Generally the easiest way to access liability insurance advice and products is through a broker.

The British Insurance Brokers' Association (BIBA) is a not for profit Trade Association for insurance brokers. The BIBA Consumer Helpline number is 0870 950 1790 - ordinary BT call rates and conditions apply. The helpline is open from 9-5pm and staff are happy to speak to any consumer who is looking for insurance or a specialist insurance broker.

The following insurance companies offer either public liability insurance and/or professional indemnity for artists and public art consultants and have agreed to their contact details being published by us. Please note we cannot make any recommendation about any individual company and advise you to check details very carefully with any company you deal with.

a-n The Artists' Information Company

First Floor
7 - 15 Pink Lane
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DW
Tel: 0191 241 8000
Email: [email protected]

a-n offer Public & Products Liability Insurance through their AIR membership scheme:
Artists' Interaction and Representation. In 2008 they added additional insurance covering artwork and materials, studio, contents and employers' liability. Open to all AIR members who normally practice in the UK. Includes temporary work undertaken outside the UK, although special terms and /or higher premiums may apply for work in USA or Canada.

Atlas Insurance Services Ltd

97 Portsmouth Road
Surrey GU2 4DL
Tel: 0870 3600700
Email: [email protected]

Gwennap Stevenson Brown Ltd

1 Tomlins Corner
Queen Street
Dorset SP8 4DJ
Tel: 01747 821188
Fax: 01747 821177
Contact: Pauline Gwennap

McCarthy Insurance Group
(with Visual Artists Ireland)

Arts Team
2,3 and 4 South Mall
Tel: 021 4224 849
Fax: 021 4251 224
Email: [email protected]

Offers insurance for artists in the Republic of Ireland only.

MCE Insurance

Lister House
Finedon Road
Tel: 0870 4207575

Portwood & Co. Ltd, Insurance Brokers

9 Bewick Road
Gateshead NE8 4DP
Tel: 0191 477 2231/0870 7456247
Email: [email protected]

Professional Insurance Agents Limited

Lion Works
Sidley Road
East Sussex
BN22 7HB
Tel: 01323 648000
Fax: 01323 648001
Email: [email protected]

Professional Insurance Agents Ltd

58a High Street
East Sussex
TN21 8JB
Tel:01435 868444
Fax: 01435 868608

SAA (The Society for all Artists)

PO Box 50
Nottinghamshire NG23 5GY
Tel: 01949 844050
Fax: 01949 844051
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.saa.co.uk

SAA offers various services to members, including a legal free help line. In addition membership can include free all risks insurance for UK exhibitions, goods in transit and public liability up to £5,000,000 for workshops.

Please also refer to the Arts Council's website for an information sheet on insurance together with a list of useful contacts.


For further information, e-mail: [email protected]

July 2008

 Fast Find

Go to specific information related to you.

 Editor's Choice

What's New

ixia update

 Join our elist